Is an optional product that can be worn as a pendant.
* Water resistant, but if regular use in shower or bath regular testing required.
* Range for transmitter is 80 metres indoors.
*Remote answering and hang up from pendant.
Console acts as a complete telephone with additional user features.
* Large keypad buttons
* Personalised photo display for auto dial numbers
* One touch redial
* One touch dial for eight preset numbers
* Speaking clock with day and time announcement
* Auto voice announcement to both the caller and the respondent.
* Two way speech on professional model-can be later upgraded on domestic model at a small extra cost.
* Voice alert is given if the handset is off the hook, line is disconnected or the pendant battery running low.
* Hearing aid induction loop
* Approx. 100 hour battery backup
* Remote programmable
* Compatible with wireless smoke detectors and intruder sensors
* Option to add professional monitoring.
* Adjustable volume handset and ring tones.
* Programmable for a range of reminders including medication and meal times
Nominated persons monitoring: Direct dial one touch access to up to 8 preset numbers of family, friends and services - and all can be personalised with photos.
Suppliers state that "Emergency Call 000" services have given permission to be a programmed as a last number of contact on the professional model only with two way speak.
Call Centre Monitoring: Professional twenty four hour response centre number is programmed into the Blue phone.
* Purchase outright from supplier
* No monitoring fees for domestic model
* Upgrade to professional model for compatibility with professional monitoring
* Ongoing fees to be paid for professional service monitoring
Factors To Consider
Considerations For Use
* Telephone large buttons which may encourage ease of use for some users
* Photo display to easily identify the person, user is calling. May aid persons with memory impairment.
* Time and day voice announcement may assist a person to orientate the user to time
* Amplification for hearing aid usage
* Two way communication to talk directly with the user once the alarm has been activated with Professional model
* Auto voice announcement that alarm has been activated for added reassurance
* Answering and hanging up telephone calls and communicating hands free, may be useful for individuals who find it difficult to walk to the telephone or who get tired holding onto a telephone receiver
* The Personal Alarm system can be programmed to accommodate other alarms including inactivity sensors, smoke detectors, infrared sensors. Useful for persons requiring additional monitoring to reduce risks of injury
Connecting Medical Alarms to the National Broadband Network
The National Broadband Network (NBN) is planned to provide a high-speed optical fibre connection to 93% of Australians, with the remaining 7% in non-urban areas served by a lower speed wireless or satellite service.
If built as proposed, the NBN will ultimately replace the copper network and looks set to make all other public fixed-line telecommunications networks in Australia obsolete.
Medical alarms supplied by PERSA are expected to work correctly when connected to the NBN. PERSA is the Personal Emergency Response Services Association. Current members are listed on the PERSA website www.persa.com.au <http://www.persa.com.au/>.
However it should be noted that the battery back-up time on the NBN is very short, and will only work for a few hours during a power failure in customer's premises. So this may mean equipment relying on this will not work if there is an extended power failure.
It is also vitally important that your equipment is set-up correctly to work with your medical alarm, and that your selected Retail Service Provider can support that set-up.
If the NBN is rolling-out in your area, you need to call your medical alarm service BEFORE YOU SIGN ANY CONTRACT FOR THE NBN SERVICE.
Your medical alarm service will assist you to select a retail service provider that can support the continued operation of your medical alarm over the NBN.