Anal Plug is a faecal incontinence aid. It is a small foam tampon like product with a string / tail attached to the base. It is inserted into the anus to prevent external bowel leakage. The Anal Plug is available in two sizes: small or large.
Only one model is available
* The Anal Plug is made from a soft and comfortable foam which retains its softness in use
* The slightly absorbent foam is porous to allow air to pass through
* The Plug is covered with a film which dissolves harmlessly in the bowel
* The tail is a soft weave fabric that does not wick faecal matter out of the bowel. It is used to remove the Anal Plug
* The Plug stays securely in place while worn by expanding to the natural shape of the bowel to create an effective plug
* It frees users from undesirable discharges and odours
* It also eliminates problems with skin irritation
* The Plug can be worn for up to 12 hours
* The Anal Plug is not designed to be used by a person with diarrhoea
Place Of Manufacture
Some assistive technology needs to meet Australian or other standards. Standards may relate to materials, manufacturing and installation. Products that meet Australian or international standards will have written certification. To find out if a product meets Australian Standards ask the supplier to show you the certificate. For more information about standards also see
Many of the items on the ILC NSW website are categorised as a Medical Device. Medical devices that are approved for use in Australia have been entered into a national database called the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG), which is maintained by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). You can ask the supplier for the ARTG number for the device you wish to purchase and search the ARTG for the entry. To access information on the ARTG visit www.tga.gov.au
When buying a medical device it is advisable to only choose a medical device that is recommended by a healthcare professional and has been included on the ARTG.